Thursday, November 4, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 4: Smaller Bites

I completely slipped on posting yesterday. Sadly, it's probably because I didn't have much to say.

I did more recipe research, and - as determined as I am - this cooking thing seems pretty daunting. At least, cooking everything from scratch. So many ingredients (expensive), so many things to prep (time-consuming and dangerous for those who don't like knives), and so many cooking terms I have to... come to terms with.

None of this means that I have given up, or that I will give up. No! What it means is that - duh - I have to be more specific about my goals. What can I say - it's a process.

My overall goal is to be 100% vegan and comfortable with cooking by the end of the month of November. In order to meet that goal, this is how I will break it down:
  • Week 1 (Nov 1-7): Gather recipes for future menus. Finish consuming perishable non-vegan  food items in fridge. Buy vegan items on next grocery trip, including easy-to-make (gasp - microwave!) items.
  • Week 2 (Nov 8-14): Make vegan cupcakes for my birthday :) Make a point to eat vegan, and find vegan food items if out celebrating birthday. Cook at least 2 vegan meals*from recipes. Continue to sift through recipes and shop for only vegan items for self.
  • Week 3 (Nov 15 - 21): All meals will be vegan. Cook at least 4 meals from recipes.
  • Week 4 and on (Nov 22 - 30): Cook all meals, including Thanksgiving dinner and dessert, vegan!
*Meals include lunch and dinner, and will last a couple of days, since nearly all recipes yield too much for just two people. So really, it will be like I'm cooking double the meals.

Once I start cooking stuff, I will be posting pictures - yay! This is going to be funny.

2 comments: