Saturday, November 20, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 20: Native Foods Cooking Demo and Lotsa Nachos!

I'm STILL full!

This morning, the BF and I went to Native Foods Cafe in Culver City for a Thanksgiving sides cooking demo. Hello samples! On the menu:
  • Potato Fennel Gratin
  • Fresh and Lively Brussel Sprout Hazelnut Salad
  • Pear Cranberry Upside Down Cake
They also served samples of their Chai tea and Watermelon Fresca.

This was the first cooking demo I'd ever been to. We couldn't see a lot of what was going on because of the seating arrangement, but Chef Tanya was good at explaining what she was doing, and why, and giving little tips along the way.

She also told her story, which included how she opened the first Native Foods in Palm Springs in 1994. Um HELLO! Where was my little vegetarian teenage self when that happened?! I grew up in Palm Springs and I seriously had no idea the place existed until a few years ago when a colleague in Orange County told me about the Costa Mesa location. Tragic.

Back to the food. The gratin was DELICIOUS. I've been wanting to make the traditional mashed potatoes for T-day, but I may very well make this. Why? Because I know it's good. I didn't think I liked fennel. I certainly don't like the way it smells. But it didn't taste very strong in the dish, so - yum!

Next, she showed and fed us the brussel sprout salad. The BF does NOT like brussel sprouts, but I convinced him to try it. I myself wasn't sure that I'd ever had brussel sprouts. Neither of us liked it. In fact, he hated it - he looked like he was going to be sick. The hazelnuts were good though!

Last, we had the cake. Oh my, this was delicious. I think the only thing that might have made it even more special was some sort of syrup it. Like, barely drizzled on it.

Besides the (mostly) yummy tastes, we got recipes of each dish, plus a recipe for Green Bean Vegan Casserole. We also got coupons for the seasonal Native Wellington, and for free entrees with purchase of an entree. I've heard good things about the wellington, so I ordered one. Sadly, the free entree coupons are not valid until the 23rd. Boo.

That didn't stop us from having lunch there today. I make the mistake(?) of ordering the Nuevo Native Nachos AND a root beer. I say mistake not because they weren't good, but because I got full after just a few bites! I had to take them home, and nachos are not nachos as leftovers. I already ate some more at home, and they were good, but I still have a lot left!!!

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that I won a Native Foods tote bag! They gave away several things, including a mug, cooking DVD, a whole pie, and a wellington! I really like my tote bag though, and I used it to go shopping immediately afterward :)

I have to say, the cooking demos, which Chef Tanya holds once a month, are a great marketing tool. They are free, and they totally win you over to the food. Not that we didn't already love Native Foods - which is why I totally don't mind being sold on their stuff :)

We'll be back to pick up our wellington on Wednesday, and we'll probably use our coupon then!

3 comments:

  1. I was at the demo today as well. That's a great idea about the syrup for the cake I think it would put it over the top. I liked the brussel sprouts but I do like them normally.

    I ate there with a few friends afterwards. Oh boy was it good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordered the Wellington (from the Palm Desert NF). I had it last year and it was wonderful.

    I haven't made it to any of Tanya's demos. I'll have to do so, it sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, omgoshimvegan! Yes, the food is so yummy. The nachos were so good even as leftovers.

    Debbie - it was fun. We look forward to having the wellington!

    ReplyDelete