Thursday, November 18, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 18: Pumpkin Saag-a

Goodness gracious, this was a beast of a recipe to make! Pumpkin Saag from Veganomicon.

I prepped the pumpkin yesterday. I chopped the onions, minced the garlic, and chopped the spinach today, which took a pretty long time.

That's a lot of spinach!
Once I got cooking, everything actually went really smoothly. I followed the recipe almost exactly. It calls for an inch cube of fresh ginger, grated, and I just used about 3/4 teaspoon of ground ginger. I don't have a fine grater or microplane, so I figured why bother with fresh ginger.

Regardless of that, it tasted FANTASTIC. The BF had so much that there was barely enough left over for both of us. (I'm sure he'll take all of it to work tomorrow for lunch.) I cooked some brown rice to go with it. It was jasmine, not basmati, but I didn't really see the need to buy an extra bag of rice to just accompany the saag.



This was really great, and I would make it again, but I would have to wuss out and use canned or precut pumpkin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment