Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 16: The Grand Grocery Store Tour

Because of my impulse to make Pumpkin Saag this week, I had a few ingredients left to buy after my big trip yesterday. This morning, I embarked on a neighborhood-wide grocery store - on foot, mind you!

First stop - Jons. I'd been in there before, but I wasn't terribly impressed. They have a pretty good selection of international food, but not vegetarian/vegan food. However, after today's trip, Jon's scored a couple points. They have a spice section with little bags of just about every spice for $.89 or $.99. The one spice they didn't have was the one I was looking for - garam masala! They had a great selection of other stuff, so why didn't they have that? Boo. They did carry peanut oil, which was also on my list, but it was a big bottle for about $7. Too much.

Next stop - Target. I was hoping they might carry peanut oil for cheaper than I would find it elsewhere. They didn't carry it at all.

Next stop - Trader Joe's. Same hope as with Target. No peanut oil.

Last stop - Whole Foods. I dreaded that this would be the only place I would find all the ingredients I was looking for, because it can be expensive. However, the vegan ranch dressing I needed was on sale, the garam masala was not ridiculously expensive, and the peanut oil was small in both quantity and price. Even though it can be pricier, I love Whole Foods because they carry just about everything I need. It's a bit difficult to walk there and get a lot of stuff, because it's at least a mile.

So, what have I learned? I pretty much need to shop at at least three places. Maybe one day I will only cook meals that I know I can get the ingredients for at ONE place. Until then, I'll get plenty of walking done at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment