Sunday, November 28, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 27: Challenge... Accepted?

Yes, I know that it's Day 28, but this post is about yesterday, Day 27 :)

Yesterday was my first true outing for which I had to do research. The BF and I met up with his friend for brunch in a nearby city, and I didn't know vegan-friendly restaurants in that area. I had researched some restaurants in the area, and I found a place that I thought would work.

The reviews I read about the restaurant mentioned vegan options - some sort of tofu scramble. However, the restaurant didn't have a website, so I wasn't able to look at the menu. When I finally did, all the breakfast items were egg-something-or-other, and I saw nothing about tofu mentioned on the menu. It mentioned that things could be made vegetarian, but not vegan. There were a couple of small items -- side salad, bowl of fruit -- that were vegan, but nothing meal-sized. The only thing I saw that might be vegan was the veggie tacos.

I don't like to be "difficult" at restaurants. I have friends that are servers, and I hear their horror stories - I do not want to be one of them! So, I didn't ask a lot of questions. I ordered the tacos. Corn tortillas, soyrizo, lettuce, onions, cheese and sour cream. I asked for no cheese or sour cream, and believed in my heart that they would be vegan.

They came out and looked great. There was a side of pinto beans on the plate, and I didn't touch them. The tacos tasted fine, but man they were greasy! Were they totally vegan? I can't say for sure, especially since I didn't ask, but I'm not going to freak out about it.

I guess that's how I'm going to be. I mean, as a vegetarian, I knew that it was possible that my food would prepared on or near a meat surface. As a vegan, I can ask questions, but I can't freak out about things. You just never really know what's going to happen to your food at a restaurant anyway. I just have to do my best to be prepared ahead of time.

We went to the theater - a matinee - after brunch, so there was quite a long stretch between brunch and my next meal. The theater was right by an In N Out Burger, so I had to get some french fries! At least I know the only thing that goes in the deep fryers there are potatoes...?

What I learned from yesterday's experience -- and reader comments -- is that I should always be prepared with some snack or food, in case there isn't something for me to eat where I happen to be. You can also bet that I will get to know every vegan-friendly establishment within a 50 mile radius of me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment