Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Vegan Fail; Goodbye to...

I was so excited to make tonight's dinner - my version of the Tostada Pizza from CPK. Then, I realized something. I hadn't looked at the label on the soy cheese I bought yesterday. It contains casein. Vegan fail.

I didn't want to waste food or spend even more money than I have this week on food, so I decided to use it anyway.

The pizza turned out ok. The BF said it was really good, so I'll believe him. I didn't care for the ranch dressing that I used, nor did I care for the soy cheese all that much.

I know that I won't get to eat cheese - real cheese - as a vegan. I'll really miss it. The vegan (and not-really-vegan) cheeses I've had usually taste fine at first, but then something weird happens. There's no other way to explain it other than to say I get dizzy after a few minutes when I eat them. The only one that didn't make me feel that way was Teese Nacho flavor.

All that said, there are other things I must say goodbye to, and these are the ones I'll miss most:
  • Cadbury Flake
  • Peanut M&Ms
  • Twix
  • milkshakes, in particular, Haagen-Dazs Vanilla and Dulce de Leche
  • In-N-Out grilled cheese
  • Thrifty Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
  • brie
There are probably a few more I could throw in there, but those are the ones I thought of quickly. Looking at the list, it's all junk food anyway (well, except the brie). I'm perfectly fine giving all those things up, knowing that my body and conscience will feel better for it.

I really did feel bad about the damn casein.

1 comment:

  1. OOO Grilled cheese is so good. I miss grilled cheese night at Campanille. I stumbled on it many years ago and only went a few times but a night all about grilled cheese was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete