Monday, November 22, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 22: Monday Grocery Walking Tour

In my previous post, I said I had decided on what to make for Thanksgiving dinner. I added all my ingredients to my phone app and the BF and I (he has the week off) went on the Monday Grocery Walking Tour together.

First stop, the West Hollywood Farmers' Market. Frankly, This was a bit disappointing. Some of the prices were better than what I saw yesterday at the Hollywood Farmers' Market, but they didn't have shallots - the thing I was really looking for. I was also just a little too impatient to compare prices and quality between vendors. I really want to like shopping at farmers' markets, so I'll keep trying.

We left the market with an empty cart and headed to Whole Foods. There we were looking for a few things I knew I could only get there - Vegenaise, EnerG egg replacer, nuts in bulk. This is also where I totally changed my mind about Thanksgiving dessert. I realized that I simply couldn't have Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie. It certainly didn't help that it was everywhere in the store.

I really didn't want to make a pie, but I - with the BF's help - decided that if I could find a vegan pumpkin pie for a decent price, that would be our dessert. Enter Fabe's Bakery vegan pumpkin pie. Done!

Next stop was good old reliable Trader Joe's. Here we got all the produce we needed for the green bean casserole and the gratin. We also got a few items for some very easy to make dishes this week - tacos and fried rice.

Last stop was Jons for some inexpensive white pepper.

The tour was a little tiring - we both got very hungry and cranky after walking behind a bunch of slowpokes and nearly being hit by a couple of a-hole drivers. Walking in LA is dangerous!

I'm actually looking forward to making the sides. Mmm... yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment