Monday, November 8, 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 8: Dinner Was Served!

Well, kids, I did it. I cooked dinner!

Before I get into that, I'll have you know that I went to four different stores to find everything on my recipe lists. FOUR. Why four? Because there is apparently no such thing as a navy bean in my part of Los Angeles. I didn't bother to look up a substitute until I was at the fourth store - great northern beans it is.

But I digress. Tonight, I made dinner. As mentioned in my previous post, I made Chinese-Style Vegetable Fried Rice, paired with Seitan, Mushroom, and Onion Stir-Fry (both from The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet by Nava Atlas).

Including the time it took for the rice to cook, I think it took about an hour and a half. What can I say - I'm slow. While the rice cooked, I minced some green onion for the fried rice, and sliced an onion and drained the seitan for the stir-fry. (The recipe called for two onions, but after I sliced one, I decided that was enough!)

Waiting for the rice to cook...



Once the rice was done, I did double duty on the dishes. My stove has never seen such action!


And here are the finished dishes:
Colorful! Bright! Fried Rice!

Looks WAY less yummy than it tastes

Here's what they looked like on my plate:
Ok, my plating skills leave something to be desired

I gotta say, I thought that the rice would be really awesome, and that I would simply eat the stir-fry without loving or hating it. In actuality, the rice was good, but the stir-fry was even better. It's all about the sauce. I didn't want to overdo the soy sauce on the rice, so I was probably a little too shy. For the stir fry, I used Trader Joe's General Tsao Stir Fry Sauce. That stuff is good.

The BF, upon first taste, said it was amazing. Eh, so what if he was being nice. I'd totally eat the leftovers, and that's all that counts.

Yay, me, for making dinner! Tomorrow, I make birthday cupcakes. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment